Al Jazeera announced on Tuesday that it would submit a case to the International Criminal Court (ICC) regarding the murder of journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, who was shot in the head while covering an Israeli raid in Jenin in the occupied West Bank. in May.
“Al Jazeera’s legal team has conducted a full and detailed investigation into the case and has uncovered new evidence based on multiple eyewitness accounts, review of multiple pieces of video footage and forensic evidence relating to the incident. ‘case,” Al Jazeera said in a statement.
The network says new evidence and a video show the Palestinian-American journalist and her colleagues were directly targeted in a ‘deliberate murder’ by what Al Jazeera called Israeli occupation forces, a claim that Israel repeatedly denied.
Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid on Tuesday reiterated his longstanding denial that any outside authority would investigate Israel Defense Forces troops.
“No one will investigate IDF soldiers and no one will preach morality to us in war, certainly not Al Jazeera,” Lapid said.
The IDF referred CNN’s questions about the ICC case to the Foreign Ministry, which declined to comment.
In September, the IDF admitted there was a “high probability” that Abu Akleh had been “accidentally” shot dead by Israeli fire aimed at “suspects identified as Palestinian gunmen in a firefight”.
The IDF said at the time that the Israeli military did not intend to pursue criminal charges or prosecutions against any of the soldiers involved.
A CNN investigation published two weeks after Abu Akleh’s death suggested the fatal shot came from a position where IDF troops were known to have been positioned. The pattern of gunfire on a tree behind where she was standing at the time suggested the shots were targeted rather than indiscriminate, an expert told CNN.
CNN’s investigation unearthed evidence – including two videos of the shooting scene – suggesting there was no active fighting, or Palestinian militants, near Abu Akleh in the times that took place. preceded his death.
She was wearing a bulletproof vest identifying her as a journalist at the time she was killed.
Al Jazeera said on Tuesday: “The Israeli authorities’ claim that Shireen was mistakenly killed in an exchange of fire is completely unfounded. The evidence presented to the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) confirms, beyond doubt, that there was no shooting in the area where Shireen was, other than the IOF (Israeli Occupation Forces) firing directly at him. .
“The IOF investigation which revealed that there was no suspicion of a crime committed is entirely undermined by the available evidence which has now been provided to the Office of the Prosecutor. Evidence shows that this deliberate killing was part of a larger campaign to target and silence Al Jazeera,” the network added.
Abu Akleh’s family also filed a formal complaint with the International Criminal Court (ICC) earlier this year seeking justice for his death, Al Jazeera reported.
CNN contacted the ICC to confirm whether it had received the file.